Wednesday 18 April 2012

I am my aunts nephew


The middle aged man in a turban placed his left hand firmly on the young lad’s head. His face looked menacing and threatening as if he was facing some older and stronger adversary and not just the frightened lad who shivered and trembled with the least of jerks. As the prayer got more and more fervent, the jolts got stronger and stronger. These motions almost caused the boy to fall backward but the man of God was there to seize him, drag him forward and redo the circle again. His bushy beard the trademark of his religion was neat and well kempt and a few strands were bridled together at the end to form a knot. The clusters of hair were perhaps the greatest test of his unshakeable belief that the God he chose to serve would triumph over all the forces of evil. I don’t remember his name but his entire ilk were referred to as Japolo meaning a man from heaven.
The man of God admonished the devil inside the young lad sometimes confusing his quest to break free as a resolve of the devil to challenge his powers something he couldn’t accept just lying down. He had to respond, and to answer he did in style. He made a ball of fire and passed it around through the terrified boys legs and arms. As the fire hovered over his head the boy made one last desperate look at his aunt in an attempt to appeal to her to end this tribulation. He could see the pain in her eyes and for one second he was sure that he was about to be rescued.
 However the last shred of hope was blown when the man of God shouted to the young woman not to interfere with the fight, that the cool demeanor and feigned innocence in the boy’s eyes was the work of the devil. He intensified his movements and the boy realized that fighting it was proving futile. He therefore just let be and got resigned to his fate, whatever would follow, would happen. Japolo noticing this proclaimed defeat on the forces of evil in one last act of hurrah.
The young boy ran for his aunt and embraced her for what seemed like forever never wanting to be exposed to such acts of savagery again. He knew though deep that the ritual would be done again, and again. The reprieve was thus a temporary relief but one nonetheless that was to be welcomed with open arms. But how did he get here in Got Kagumbo? For that was the places name. You might be wondering where this anecdote is going or whether I changed my writing style. Nothing of that sought, I just remembered glimpses of my childhood that was characterized by such a rollercoaster experience that was exhibited by joy and pain, expectations and despair, calmness and agitation all in equal measure.
When I sometimes I hear my friends contend about who went  to boarding school the earliest I suppress an urge to laugh especially when they quantify that early to mean class four or thereabouts. I started boarding school before I learnt how to read and write. Heck, it was even before I learnt how to gormandize ugali properly. Am told it was just for a month but am sure I stayed longer. Nevertheless a month is still enough a stint, right? It’s not what you thinking-it wasn’t because my behavior was that bad or any of those reasons. It was more like pilgrimage. Just like the ones the Muslim take to Mecca only that I didn’t travel that far.
After all Got Kagumbo was just as holier (Got Means Mountain).I shared Damieno’s fate- I heard that an evil lady had cast a spell on me as well. So sending me there was to protect me from further harm and undo the damage that was already done. I can’t remember well how bad it was that it warranted this seclusion from family at such a tender age but to this day am grateful to my aunt who orchestrated it.
Most students remember their first time in school, a parent clasping your hand and dragging you like a bull to slaughter. Well, it was very much the same, only that as my aunt waved goodbye it hit me that I would not be seeing her for a long time! As the gate closed behind me the enormity of the situation hit me like a thunderbolt. I remember standing there helpless warm salty tears cascading down my visage. And every time she came to see me and just left me there my repulsion increased, I couldn’t understand why she would just leave me there, in that god forsaken place, with them!
I remember we had a school anthem back then and the words are still etched in my brain. It went something like:
“Kagumbo ku to iomo ang’owa?”
“Yesu e ma adwaro”
The soloist did the first line while the second line was a rejoinder. The soloist asks what we came to seek in that mountain and the rest of us replied that it was Jesus we sought.
If there is anything this assemblage taught well above everything else was how to eat nyoyo, a skill that was very useful especially in my high school years. This nyoyo was purely of boiled maize and salted to taste. I used to be repulsed by it but as hunger rose, I couldn’t remember more delicious a meal.
I write this piece because I remembered my aunt and just what she did to me, the days on the end that she spend transversing the regions seeking for a cure to whatever I suffered from then. I remember her carrying the plum child as she walked on foot. I remember the tribulations she bore as the child demanded food in the middle of nowhere. Long live Waya!
I would have gone on about Got Kagumbo it is just that it is difficult to concentrate on writing with so much hustling and errands to run. Maybe the holiday mood is sinking in or am just growing illiterate as our high school teachers used to prophesize if we went home and kept away from our books .
 Until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment