Tuesday 13 March 2012

masaibu ya ndugu varaq


Last week was arguably one of the most depressing weeks for me in recent times. Okay, let me not get ahead of myself-it wasn’t that bad. You get the picture though. Sometimes you just sit in a three hour Parasitology lecture and wonder how or when life got this complicated. It’s not that the unit is that tough but you get the picture. Maybe it’s the 5 marks that I got in my CAT that served as the straw that broke the camel’s back. Allow me to pour my heart to you.
It’s funny sometimes how time changes influences our concept of reality. When I got to university and I was told the pass mark was 40% I must have wondered why the university put the bar so low. I for example wondered why someone bright enough to make it to university would fail to achieve such a miserly score. Fast forward to today I see how sometimes getting that 40% is all your heart desires. And it’s not like the exams are set the secondary school model where form 1 work is just as likely to feature in the final paper as form four work-every semester has fresh content. If my parents are reading this they need not spend sleepless nights, their son is still on course for a first class honors. Okay, maybe not that but am definitely inspired for success.
This semester I had promised myself that I would work hard early to avoid taking a last minute sleep sabbatical. It’s about three weeks to the exam and am still intent on keeping my promises to myself as soon as am done with this piece unless of course some emergency comes up. Don’t panic though by emergency, I don’t mean the hostel being engulfed in flames or anything of that nature. You know, feeling hungry and wanting to see some friends qualify as emergencies too. After all you don’t plan in your timetable to see some people and have lunch. Maybe some, but you get the picture, right?
Back to last week and its tragedies. When I received my first yellow card in my Saturday game I should have taken it as a forewarning. But I didn’t and continued rolling on the bridge. It’s only when you take a forced plunge into the cold waters beneath and attempts to wriggle yourself out that you realize just how you have lost the plot. I know I lost some of you there but don’t mind-am just trying to appear wise and astute people don’t use such pedestrian language as to err or make mistakes. Instead we attempt to make Ramogi Ajuan’g proud through the use of words such as falling into depths of the sea among others. In case you are wondering Ramogi Ajuan’g is the forefather of the Luopeans .And wasn’t it said that he taught Shakespeare the language of thou and art that we marvel at so much today?
Where was I? Yes, I was telling you about my first yellow card. I got to the game just a few minutes to kick off after hustling with some caretaker over the venue to hold my birthday-yes, last weekend I turned twenty two and there is so much to talk about that if I attempt to even make the slightest commentary about that, I might consume another five pages so I will write about it in my next article. The logic of the story here is that planning an event is so much draining not just in terms of time and finance but also in physical energy. So I got into the game frustrated and tired. It’s after playing for five minutes that the officials and me for that matter realized that I hadn’t presented my ID. In case you are starting to get ahead of yourself, that’s not why I was yellow carded. I was however politely asked to leave the pitch and look for something to prove that I am truly Ouko grandson of Bernadus Okombo, I mean apart from my sworn affidavit.
 I won’t bore you with the story of how poor me might have lost my ID in my last nights indulgences. The silver lining is that after hitching a lift on some pick up I was able to find some cyber that operated on generator power and printed my fee statement. Generator cause Kenya Power decided to remind us that they so far enjoy monopoly and fee statement because it proves I pay fee to Kenyatta University which in turn means I am a student. Pretty genius, argh? I know.
The silver lining in this story is that I was fortunate enough to get back before the onset of the second half. The rules must have changed during my tour or since when did being aggressive become a foul? Maybe I might have been too hard on the poor boy. In hockey unlike football; yellow card has a lot of weight. It means you go out for sometime especially if the referee is so engrossed in the game. Let’s just say that this was one of such games and he only asked me to get back on at the stroke of full time.
This week though if the happenings of the past few days are anything to go by looks very luminous-bright for those who don’t bear any Shakespearean traits. The birthday party was a success, word has it so. Ms Joan decided to give us a new CAT to dilute the 5.5 in the previous CAT and show that we didn’t cheat our way in. Maybe the change of heart has something to with the big rock that has recently been spotted on her middle finger. You didn’t hear it from me. On the relationship front let’s just say that things are definitely looking brighter.
Sorry I have to go, I have a CAT to demolish, remember?



No comments:

Post a Comment