Tuesday 10 January 2012

New Year's resolution


It is that time of the year again when the gods of resolution have resurfaced again. The human in me refuses to let the opportunity pass before seizing it…again. But after tinkering with big ideas such as saving the planet and winning prizes no less than the Nobel Prize in my formative years I finally lessened the burden on my shoulders. But even after revising my targets to the bare minimum, I am still finding it tough to be faithful to my dreams; talk of a man cheating on himself. But there is a silver lining in this story-well let’s just say that this year my target is not only simple but seemingly very practical.
Appreciating what one has surely can’t be that hard. There is this saying that has become synonymous with Philippine soaps. It goes something like you can only know the value of what you have till you lose it. Alejandro and the pretty young lady by his side live happily thereafter but only after some time of separation. it’s not difficult to get the logic here in that, sometimes you are not sure just how much you value something, or someone in this case till they grow wings and fly away. But do we really have to push people away before we realize just to what extent our worlds would be gloomier without them.
You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to know that it’s only the things that you take special attention to that’s serves you longest. A mere word of ‘thank you’ goes a long way to assure the person in question that their input is appreciated. It just doesn’t stop there; it motivates them to work harder to catch your eye. That is on top of my new resolution this year-to let the people who matters in my life know that they matter. But even this seemingly easy stunt is proving a herculean task.
One interesting thing I have realized is that we don’t take notice when everything is okay. Trust me though a little discomfort will surely catch our attention. It is very likely that we notice when we catch colds but if we are alive and healthy we’ll simply presume that as normal. Appreciating God for the life and grace that he has given us freely is in my list. It won’t cause us much to let our mothers and fathers know just how much they mean to us. Our friends will be equally smitten if we appreciate the role they play in our lives besides just noticing their excesses. And of course if I were to make an honorary list she would surely make it.
That is my target this year; may as many as with similar prayer say Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment