Tuesday 10 January 2012

just why my relationship with santa is not changing soon


If there was anything that was looked forward to with so much appetite then nothing came closer to the end of year parties-Christmas and New Year celebrations .I get so nostalgic when I remember this fetes especially the former. But it has recently joined the world of the leaving dead. Against the backdrop of the global economic meltdown it has become not only overburdening but also impractical to engage in such indulgences.
Christmas was that time of the year that we could ask for things and they be handed over on a silver platter. Not that the other times didn’t yield results but unlike those other times the responses were immediate. Christmas as we remember it was some day when foods that were not so common were assembled together by our mothers to prepare a meal of a lifetime. Even foods that we prepared everyday such as rice and chapatis tasted differently never mind that the recipes were written by the same authors.
During those days Santa was real and not just some African man adorning red costume and dishing out some candy. Fast forward to today, Santa still exists but without his supernatural powers-that’s if he had any in the first place. He exists but to beautify buildings and make them attractive for potential consumers, lure small children and thus their parents and most importantly to perpetuate a mood and be in sync with the rest of the world. Don’t get me wrong, am no cynic, neither am I disgruntle man taking his frustrations on one of the world’s oldest establishments.
Christmas I agree is just as important on the social front as it is on the religious end. It enables and friends to bond over roasted goats and get to catch up. It’s a time for relatives who have not seen each other for a long time to fake affection over free food. Christmas I believe is a day that’s has lost its path even in the religious front. I wasn’t there when the son of man was born so I wouldn’t contest the date. However, biblical evidence doesn’t point that way either. For all we know Christmas could have been on the 4th of march-not that I am to be taken seriously either.
Least I be stoned, I do believe in the good tat Christmas does, I just dot believe in the day. I do believe that people should have a good time sometime least they succumb to the daily pressures; I just don’t think that day has to be 25th December. If we are truly celebrating the birth of the man who taught love then each day should be a day to share with our friends and enemies alike.
See you later-I got a Christmas invitation to honor-surprised? Well, let’s just say that I didn’t castigate free foods and drinks!

Mzee Varaq

No comments:

Post a Comment